Sunday, August 30, 2009

caterpillar dreaming

As a kid, I spent a great deal of time with my grandparents, which was wonderful. They were both retired teachers; my grandfather taught science. He was always doing some project with me. I’d help him formaldehyde insects and pin them up, learning all about thoracic segments, prothorax, etc. to learning about plants and lichen on trees. Apparently, I stopped everyone getting off the bus one day to point out some algae in the gutter. Yes, I am a geek to this day. I wanted Audrey and Bethany to get a little exposure too, so, we looked for an egg, but to no avail. We did find some caterpillars; one I could identify as a monarch, the other maybe a leopard moth? The girls loved watching them eat (about 5 times their own weight every day; I understand why they can do so much damage) and miraculously spin their chrysalis. I thought there was a good chance we’d lose at least one, but the first one was a success. The girls had such a fun time watching them that we’d really like to share this fun with someone else. So, does anyone want a caterpillar? :) We have a wooly bear and another unknown moth, maybe another leopard moth... similar to our first one. So, really, if anyone wants a caterpillar, please let us know! :)




1 comment:

Heather said...

Good luck with your new friends Marin! Thanks Cara!